In 1893, Harry Hempstead, a graduate of the University of Michigan Law School, began the practice of law on Main Street in St. Charles, Illinois. He was joined in 1929 by Drury H. Green, a graduate of the University of Illinois Law School, and the law firm of Hempstead and Green was founded.
In 1955, Charles Redman joined the firm. Mr. Redman was an engineer and patent attorney who received his Bachelor of Law and Juris Doctorate Degree from Marquette University, and practiced Patent and General Law. He was qualified to practice in the courts of Illinois and Wisconsin as well as the Federal Courts, including the United States Supreme Court.
Upon the deaths of both Mr. Hempstead and Mr. Green in 1955, Richard D. Shearer joined Mr. Redman and the firm continued as Redman & Shearer. Mr. Shearer held a Bachelor of Science Degree from North Central College and received both his Juris Doctorate Degree and his Master of Patent Law Degree from John Marshall Law School.
Michael F. O’Brien became associated with the firm in 1964 and became a partner in 1967. The firm name was changed to Redman, Shearer & O’Brien. Mr. O’Brien graduated from Northwestern University with a Degree in Political Science and received his Juris Doctorate Degree with honors from John Marshall Law School,
C. Kenneth Blood joined the expanding firm in 1967 as an associate, becoming a partner two years later. Mr. Blood received both his Bachelor of Science Degree in Business and Commerce and his Juris Doctorate Degree from the University of Illinois. Mr. Blood became a partner in 1969 and the firm name was changed to Redman, Shearer, O’Brien E., Blood.
Because of the death of Charles Redman and the rapidly expanding practice of the law firm, in 1969, Raymond F. Agrella and Jerry Boose joined the firm as associates. Mr. Boose received both his Bachelor of Science and Accounting Degree and his Juris Doctorate Degree from the University of Illinois.
Mr. Agrella became a partner in 1971 and Mr. Boose became a partner in 1972_ The firm then became Shearer, O’Brien, Blood, Agrella & Boose. The firm office was still on Main Street in St. Charles.
In 1982, Mr. O’Brien was appointed a Kane County Judge and the firm name was changed to Shearer, Blood, Agrella & Boose.
Joseph P. Sauber joined the firm as an associate in 1986 and became a partner on January 1, 1992.
Mary Agrella Fitzpatrick became the first woman to be associated with the firm in 1988, she became a partner in 1995.
Mr. Shearer remained with the firm until 1990 when he retired. He maintained close ties with the firm until his death in 1994.
The firm’s office remained on Main Street until it out grew its space in 1987, and moved to West River Drive in St. Charles.
Mr. Blood and Mr. Boose became successful real estate developers and amicably left the firm in 1996. The firm then took its current name of Shearer & Agrella.
In 2000, partners, Raymond F. Agrella, Joseph P. Sauber, and Mary Agrella Fitzpatrick built a new office building to house the firm at its current location on School Road in St. Charles.
In 2017 Mary Agrella Fitzpatrick amicably left the firm.